Based on the Cook For Love "Yellow Cake".
Makes 28 small cupcakes. 7g protein total 0.25g per cupcake
285g Platypus Foods baking mix
40g cake flour (3.5g protein)
15 gm (1 tablespoon) baking powder
1/2 teaspoon) salt
50 gm Cottees instant vanilla pudding
170g unsalted butter, softened
½ cup white sugar
26 gm (1 large) egg yolk, room temperature (3.5g protein) - or replace with the same volume of egg replacer and water
1 tablespoon egg replacer and water to make up to 50g
30 gm (2 tablespoons) mayonnaise
2 teaspoons vanilla
300 gm rice milk, room temperature
- Grease and line cake tin or patty pans. Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
- In a medium sized bowl, sift baking mix, plain flour, baking powder, salt and pudding mix three times (or use a triple sifter once). Set aside.
- Cut butter into 1 inch pieces and put them in a large bowl. Soften with a mixer on low speed. Increase the speed to medium high and cream until light in colour, about 1 ½ to 2 minutes. While still mixing, add sugar 1 tablespoon at a time, taking about 4 minutes to blend it well.
- Add egg yolk, blend for 30 seconds. Scrape bowl.
- Add mayo, blend for 30 seconds.
- Add egg replacer, again blending for 30 seconds. Add vanilla.
- With the mixer on low, add about half of the dry ingredients. When incorporated, add half of the rice milk. Then half of what is remaining of the dry, then the rest of the rice milk, ending with the remaining dry. Mix JUST until incorporated after each addition. Scrape the sides of the bowl as necessary.
- Bake at 180 degrees, for 30-35 minutes for 23cm cake, 15-20 minutes for cupcakes, or until skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean.
Ice with buttercream icing. The cupcakes pictured were iced with passionfruit buttercream.