Orange poppy seed cake
Based on the Cook For Love "yellow cake" recipe
I made these deliberately a bit higher in protein so I had a small, easy snack to get a bit more protein into Olive. Great for busy toddlers with small bellies!
This is very easy to make lower in protein: reduce or omit the egg yolk and substitute with egg replacer and reduce the cake flour. The poppy seeds obviously add a fair bit too so reduce or omit and the cakes will still be delicious.
Makes 28 small cupcakes. 11.4g protein total, 0.4g each.
285g Platypus Foods baking mix
40g cake flour (3.5g protein)
15 gm (1 tablespoon) baking powder
1/2 teaspoon) salt
50 gm Cottees instant vanilla pudding
170g unsalted butter, softened
½ cup white sugar
34 gm (1 large) egg yolk (4.5g protein) – or replace with egg replacer
1 tablespoon egg replacer and water to make up to 45g
30g (2 tablespoons) mayonnaise
310g freshly squeezed orange juice
1 teaspoon grated orange rind
16g poppy seeds (3.4g protein)
- Grease and line cake tin or patty pans. Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
- In a medium sized bowl, sift baking mix, plain flour, baking powder, salt and pudding mix three times (or use a triple sifter once). Add poppy seeds and set aside.
- Cut butter into 1 inch pieces and put them in a large bowl. Soften with a mixer on low speed. Increase the speed to medium high and cream until light in colour, about 1 ½ to 2 minutes. While still mixing, add sugar 1 tablespoon at a time, taking about 4 minutes to blend it well. Add orange rind
- Add egg yolk, blend for 30 seconds. Scrape bowl.
- Add mayo, blend for 30 seconds.
- Add egg replacer, again blending for 30 seconds.
- With the mixer on low, add about half of the dry ingredients. When incorporated, add half of the orange juice. Then half of what is remaining of the dry, then the rest of the orange juice, ending with the remaining dry. Mix JUST until incorporated after each addition. Scrape the sides of the bowl as necessary.
- Bake at 180 degrees, for 30-35 minutes for 23cm cake, 15-20 minutes for cupcakes, or until skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean.