330g Platypus Foods Bread Mix
1 teaspoon baking powder
¾ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt (optional)
25g melted butter
45g apple sauce
Warm water to make up to 340ml (around 235ml)
1 teaspoon (3g) dry active yeast
1. Mix honey, butter, apple sauce and warm water. Ensure mixture is lukewarm.
2. Add yeast, mix well and leave for 10 minutes, until yeast goes frothy.
3. Place bread mix, baking powder, baking soda and salt in bowel of electric mixer. Add liquids and mix at low speed for 1 minute. Cover bowl with cling wrap and leave for 10 minutes.
4. Scrape down sides of bowl and mix again at medium speed for 3-4 minutes (mixture will look like a cake batter).
5. Spread dough into greased loaf pan, ensure batter is touching all four sides and smooth the top.
6. Cover and leave to rise in a warm place for around 60 minutes until around doubled in size. This can take from 45-90 minutes. Covering dough with greased cling wrap works well as it can be easily removed without damaging and collapsing the bread. Rising mixture over container of boiled water works well.
7. After 45 minutes rising, heat oven to 180 degrees.
8. Carefully remove cover from bread and place bread in oven. Bake for 45-55 minutes, until loaf sounds hollow on the bottom when tapped. After 30 minutes, you can brush the loaf with 1 tablespoon melted butter to aid browning.
For bread machine: after step 4, place batter into greased pan of bread machine. Set machine to manual with around 60 minutes rise, 60 minutes bake. Brush the loaf with melted butter for the last 15-20 minutes